The activation process opens the various pores of the carbon and drives away unwanted molecules. The open pores are what allow the carbon to capture contaminants, known as “adsorption”.
Activated carbon filter is widely used in water and wastewater treatment applications due to its ability to remove a wide variety of impurities and contaminants. Some of the most common applications include:
- Drinking water purification: Activated carbon filters are used to remove undesirable substances such as chlorine, volatile organic compounds, pesticides and bad tastes from drinking water before it is consumed.
- Chloramine Removal: Activated carbon filters are effective at removing chloramine, a chemical compound used as a disinfectant in drinking water, which can cause taste and odor problems.
- Treatment of industrial effluents: activated carbon filters are used to remove organic and inorganic compounds, such as pesticides, solvents and heavy metals, from industrial effluents before they are discharged into nature.
- Removal of Organic Compounds: Activated carbon filters are effective in removing volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and other organic compounds such as pesticides and solvents from industrial effluents.
- Color and Odor Removal: Activated carbon filters are used to remove color and odor from industrial effluents, effectively look at their appearance and examine their toxicity.
- Wastewater effluent treatment: Activated carbon filters are used to remove organic and inorganic compounds, such as detergents and nitrogenous compounds, from wastewater effluents before they are discharged into nature.
The activated carbon filter still provides several benefits for the systems where they are included, such as:
- Adsorption Capacity: Activated carbon has a large internal surface that is capable of adsorbing a wide variety of impurities and contaminants.
- Non-Toxic and Safe: Activated carbon is a non-toxic and safe filter media that does not add chemicals to treated water.
- Low cost: Activated carbon is a relatively inexpensive and readily available filter medium.
- Easy to Use: Activated carbon filters are easy to install and operate, and can be tailored to meet the specific needs of each application.
- Possibility of recycling: Activated carbon can be recycled and reused, observing the environmental impact.
- High Efficiency: Activated carbon filters are capable of removing a wide variety of contaminants, including organic and inorganic compounds, with high efficiency.
- Does not interfere with pH: Activated charcoal does not interfere with the pH of treated water, providing safer water for consumption and use.
Grupo EP supplies a skid carbon filter with an automatic or manual system, the skid is made up of all the items that make up the filtration system, facilitating field installation and optimizing space, in addition to providing replacement of the filtering medium (activated carbon, pebbles, etc) or spare items that make up the system (crepines, valves, tanks, etc). Grupo EP supplies activated carbon filters of all flow rates and specifications.